Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Everything is difficult

I'm still feeling lousy--lots of congestion, and extremely weak and short of breath, as well as still very anxious about the insurance situation. In addition, Marty is sick (he says he feels better than he did yesterday, but still not well), and Julie has been struggling with an ear infection for weeks, which isn't getting better (and which surely is contributing to her pressure level). Ann didn't have any time to come today, but she will be here tomorrow afternoon. Thursday is also massage day, which should help with some of this tension.

Next week I will start with the new acupuncturist, who lives across the street and will come to the house. When Kathy was here she said that the Reiki practitioner should be available soon (she's been saying this for awhile, so I'm hoping it will be by next week).

Meanwhile, I'm working on the insurance problem. The case manager from the insurance company called this morning, and said that the contract calls for a limited $5,000 benefit for home care, and can't be modified. What I am allowed is an appeal, and I have the information on who that is to be sent to. What I will say, basically, is that if they look at what they were paying out in the months before I went into hospice, they were paying for multiple hospitalizations, ambulance calls, etc., which will only become more frequent as I get sicker. And even if I stay alive longer than they seem to want me to, the longest they will have to cover me is until October first, when my Medicare kicks in.

Nancy came this afternoon and I was able to talk about how anxious I am about the insurance matter, and she was very reassuring, letting me know that I had lots of support. She is easy to talk to, and like Lisa, she says she feels she really benefits from the time she spends with me.

Susan called a little while ago--she's going to come tomorrow, bringing delicious soup, and she wants to help me with the insurance stuff. She suggested contacting one of the Boston Globe columnists who do human interest stories--someone not dying fast enough to suit their insurance company sounds like the kind of thing that would appeal to them (especially since I was recently profiled in the Globe).

I'm exhausted and will be turning out the light soon. At least I don't have trouble sleeping.

4 comments:

  1. Judi,

    I’ve been doing a little research on Medicare eligibility after reading your last few blog entries. You mentioned in an earlier entry that you received five months of SSDI retroactively when you first enrolled. I believe if you received retroactive payments due to an appeal you are eligible for Medicare 24 months after the retroactive start date of SSDI. If you received the retroactive SSDI without an initial denial and appeal, I’m not so sure. I can’t find anything on that. Would you like me to follow up further on this?
    -bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judi,

    Hope you can sort out the insurance so you can concentrate on good things.

    Thinking about you lots.

    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie--I called Social Security (the 800 #) and the woman said that they count eligibility from the date of the award (December 2007). I have a cousin who works for Social Security and is quite familiar with the rules, so I have asked him if this is correct.

    Thanks for your offer of help.

    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judi,
    Just wanted to let you know I am still here. Been busy but you have my empathy and I will mail you Fri
    Pat

    ReplyDelete