Thursday, June 11, 2009

A rough start to a pretty good day

Yesterday after acupuncture I slept for an hour and a half on the daybed in the office, then came back to bed and ended up sleeping most of the afternoon and evening, and still slept most of the night as well. But, like most mornings, I spent most of the morning coughing and feeling quite miserable. But things definitely got better as the day went on.

Laurel arrived around eleven, and we were talking about her going out to bring back something good for lunch. She suggested the burgers at Krazy Karry's in Arlington Center--oddly, I had been thinking about burgers last night. Marty liked the idea too, so I had an enormous lunch of a burger with mushrooms, onions, and cheese, along with french fries and cole slaw. I definitely won't be hungry for dinner, but I know what I will be having for dessert. My friend Betty was here earlier, and brought homemade biscuits (I'm still on my quest for the ultimate biscuit), along with strawberries and whipped cream, so I will have some real strawberry shortcake! Betty also brought a bouquet of huge pink peonies from her garden, along with some purple flowers (she told me the name but I can't remember). Pink and purple are my favorite colors.

Betty interviewed me for an update of her social work book--years ago, she used to have me come speak to her class at Bridgewater State College every semester, and it's good to be back in touch with her. Next week Bob Whitaker is interviewing me for his new book. Using my brain feels good and gets me into a much better frame of mind, not focusing on being so sick and so weak.

After she left, I rested for a bit and then felt strong enough to take a shower, and Susan combed my hair. There was a funny minute when I was trying to get into my nightgown--my skin was still wet and the nightgown bunched up and I had to call for help--"I'm all tangled." Susan got me straightened out but we were both giggling--it must have looked pretty funny.

Marty definitely does still want to go to New York--we're just going to have to figure out another centerpiece for the trip, now that "Guys and Dolls" is out. There are so many things to do there that I'm sure we'll find something good, but I'm still disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment