Saturday, September 19, 2009

Two very different days

Friday was an awful day. I hadn't slept and was just ragged--I was so agitated I felt like I was jumping out of my skin. Between Marty, Julie, and Louise suggesting different medicines, I had adivan, haldol gel (which is rubbed onto my arm and absorbed through the skin), and morphine, and eventually I calmed down, but I knew how much I needed to sleep and just couldn't get there. But at least feeling calm was so much better than the agitation.

I was able to make it into the living room, which felt so good, and I kept hoping to just drift off, but it wasn't happening. I was able to eat another small portion of bean and barley soup, and after Marty got back from shopping for Rosh Hashanah goodies, I had two small pieces of apple babka (a plain cake with pieces of apple cooked into it). In the evening, Marty helped me back into bed, and I started dozing through the evening before falling to sleep for good and getting maybe about six solid hours, followed by a few more hours of dozing.

So when I woke up for good this morning I felt better than I have in quite awhile. I had a cup of tea and half of a chicken salad sandwich on whole wheat toast (not exactly breakfast food, but that's what I was craving), and it tasted wonderful. Now I'm back in the living room, feeling relaxed and marveling over how much stronger I am. I have no explanation for any of this, but I'm just taking each thing as it comes.

Yesterday (or was it Thursday?) I got a call from the NYAPRS conference so that I could hear Laura Prescott presenting my lifetime achievement award, and the cheers from the crowd. That felt so wonderful!


  1. Hi Judi,
    Good that you got some sleep and felt good enough to eat.
    Chicken salad sandwich sounds good to me too.
    Hope you are having a good day today.

  2. I'm glad you got to at least hear the presentation, it's just too bad you couldn't have been there in person.

    I, too, have been craving chicken salad, just not on toast.