Thursday, July 16, 2009

Things are calming down

Today has been a much better day, in all respects. By the end of the day yesterday, I was experiencing the overwhelming fatigue I haven't felt for awhile, but I think a lot of that was due to the stressfulness of the day. After a good night's sleep (an hour in the middle of the evening, and then seven more through the night), I awoke feeling refreshed. Marty had to leave the house very early, at seven thirty, and I was hoping I'd still be asleep when he left, but the cats decided to renew their war at about six A.M. directly next to and under the bed, so that woke us both up, although we did manage to get back to sleep for a bit.

Judy had said she'd be here between nine and nine thirty to give me my breakfast and stay with me till Lisa came at ten-thirty for my massage, when she would leave. Then I'd be alone for another short period until Laurel got here. Everything worked smoothly--Marty had set up everything so that Judy just had to boil water and put the cereal and milk in the bowl (he'd already cut up fruit). He'd even set up my special tea-brewing cup so all Judy had to do was pour the boiling water in (I'm a tea snob who loves my freshly brewed loose tea). Judy always arrives so chipper that it's a pleasure to have her around. Before she left she put fresh sheets on my bed.

I heard the door open and thought it was Lisa, but to my delight it was Caren, with my restored Palm Pilot! I was so happy that I gave her a hug and kissed the Palm.

Lisa gave me a very soothing massage, focusing on calming me and leaving me in a near-sleep state, although I didn't actually drift off. I was quite relaxed, in my lounge chair, and didn't have to wait too long before Laurel called to say she was finished with her doctor's appointment (for the wrist she broke in the car accident) and would be at my house in twenty minutes, so I wasn't alone for that long.

Shortly after Laurel got here Marie came for her weekly visit, and we had a good, serious talk about my complex feelings about living and dying. She's a good listener and knows how to draw me out, and I felt a sense of emotional relaxation which nicely complemented the physical relaxation that the massage had left me with.

Laurel and I spent a quiet afternoon, and after a few hours I felt strong enough to take a shower. I was feeling dirty and sweaty (today's the first day in awhile that's been humid and unpleasant), and it felt wonderful to just let cool water run over my body. It takes a lot of energy to take a shower, which I guess shows just how weak I am.

Marty and I have had a pleasant evening, and I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep in a nice fresh bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment