Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A pretty good day (with the aid of morphine)

I woke up around five with my knees aching and took a full syringe of morphine, and after a little while the pain eased up and I felt a pleasant wooziness, and was able to get back to sleep till almost eight. Since then I've been using occasional doses of morphine, alternating with ativan, to keep things under control; along with the acupuncture treatment I received this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty good physically, and in good spirits.

Caren was here for a short while this morning; she is helping me set up an account on e-vite to send out the invitations; once it's set up, the site automatically keeps track of who has and hasn't replied. I have a partial list of people to invite (based on the e-mails I sent out back when I first went into hospice), which I need to update. Having projects to work on makes me feel good. Caren also brought me some yummy cookies from Lakota Bakery (http://www.lakotabakery.com/), having gotten clearance from the volunteer director that it's okay to bring me goodies.

Marty left early in the afternoon after giving me some soup for lunch (I had a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast, so wasn't that hungry); I was alone for a short while until Anne arrived to give me my acupuncture treatment, and then briefly alone until Susan came. Now I'm alone again, feeling quite comfortable; I'm expecting Marty's call in a little while asking me what he should bring me for dinner (it's going to be my old faithful Singapore noodles again); he'll be going out to an evening meeting as well. I called Diana to see if she could come this evening, but she said she was going to a concert this morning (sounding almost apologetic--of course I told her not to be silly, and to enjoy herself). I'm sure I'll be fine--I'll eat dinner, then get into bed and watch some TV, and probably fall asleep.

Lauren called earlier today; she discussed my pain with the hospice medical director and they want me to try some patches that are applied for twelve hours for pain control purposes; once the pharmacy delivers them I will experiment (Lauren was very clear that this was an adjunct to the morphine, not to replace it).

No comments:

Post a Comment